Raccoon Township

Posted on by

Raccoon Township was formed in 1833 from parts of Moon and Green Townships. It was named for the Raccoon Creek, which forms its eastern boundary and was one of the most important pioneer-era streams in Western Pennsylvania. Early settlements were along Green Garden and Frankfort Roads and were mainly farms. Raccoon Township is still a rural community today, but suburban housing has popped up over the past 40 years all the way out Green Garden Road.

Fun Facts about Raccoon Township:

-Four different villages in Raccoon Township had early Post Offices – Holt, McCleary, Green Garden, and Service. All of these early names are reflected in street named throughout the township.

-Raccoon Township at one time had riverfront property before the incorporation of Shippingport Borough (1910) and Potter Township (1912).

-The Ambridge Water Authority erected the Service Creek Reservoir in the 1950’s.

Service United Presbyterian Church was founded in Raccoon Township before 1792, making it one of the earliest churches in Beaver County.

-Raccoon Township is part of the Hopewell Area School District.