Potter Township

Posted on by

Potter Township was formed in 1912 from parts of Raccoon and Moon Townships. Beginning in the 1930’s, two major industries came to Potter Township – the St. Joe Lead Company and Koppers Company. The original Beaver County Home for the Poor was located in what would become Potter Township.

Fun Facts about Potter Township:

-Potter Township has been the home for several once-thriving communities that no longer exist. Bellowsville was directly across the Ohio River from Vanport. Nearby to that was Josephtown, which had its own Post Office. During WWII, a community called Kobuta was created by Koppers to house its workers who worked in their giant war defense plant operations. Kobuta had a Post Office and a railroad station. Nothing remains of any of these communities.

-Potter Township is part of the Central Valley School District.