Brighton Township was formed in 1816. It formerly was in South Beaver Township and Ohio Township. Eventually, parts of Brighton Township became other municipalities including: Patterson, Fallston, Industry, and parts of Beaver and Bridgewater. The name came from Brighton, England.
Fun facts about Brighton Township:
–Tuscarawas Road, one of the township’s main thoroughfares, follows a former Indian trail, The Great Path. It led from the forks of the Ohio to the Tuscarawas Valley and the flint deposits in Central Ohio.
-The one-room school, the Richmond School, has been open for tours since 1969 to the present.
–Morgan Carriage Works was built shortly after the Civil War on Dutch Ridge Road.
-Part of the county-owned Brady’s Run Park, established in 1947, is located in the township.
-The township has its own park on Gypsy Glen Road called Two-Mile Run Park.
-Engineering firm Michael Baker Jr., is located in the township. The firm is known for bridge and highway construction projects worldwide. The firm has designed bridges located over the Ohio River in Beaver County.
-The Beaver County Geriatric Center opened in the township in 1959 after the facility in Potter Township closed. It now is known as Friendship Ridge, the largest nursing home in the county.
-A hospital was built in the township and first was called the Medical Center of Beaver County. Then it was called The Medical Center, and it is now known as Heritage Valley-Beaver.