COLONIAL TAVERN NIGHT
APRIL 20 7-10 P.M. at the Vicary Mansion
Step back in time and enjoy an evening of music, games, libations, wenches and tavern fare. An “open house” atmosphere. Please join Wild Willy and Governor Denny, purveyors of spirits and spinners of wild tales. Also, enjoy 18th century tavern music with “Five Pint Minimum” (musicians Rich Baker, Bryan and John Cunning). Tavern fare will consist of cheeses, smoked meat, pickled vegetables, crackers and bread. A variety of time appropriate games will be available for amusement.
We hope to see you here for this first time event. Cost is $15/person or $25/couple. Reservations are appreciated. Call 724-775-1848 for more information.
Beaver County History Celebration Weekend : World War I
May 5-6, 2018
Each of our 26 county historical sites and organizations will be featuring a variety of educational displays and events that will highlight WWI, or what was going on in Beaver County during the war. For more information about times/locations, visit our history weekend page.
Also, please check out your local library, which is sponsoring a county-wide book club where residents can read and have a discussion on the WWI novel, All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. Free copies are available at each of our county’s libraries.
Strolling Through Time: A Chronology of Beaver County, PA, History to 2016 compiled by Roger Applegate.
Copies can be purchased for $19.95 +tax at the Vicary Mansion, 1235 Third Avenue, Freedom, PA 15042, during our hours of operation or events. Call 724-775-1848 for more information.
Purchase your copy of the exclusive comprehensive timeline of Beaver County history through the present year. This is a MUST HAVE reference book for the bookshelves of all Beaver County history enthusiasts and will be utilized for years to come as the go-to standard for all researchers looking to get an account of our county’s history.
DID YOU KNOW:
• The father of one of the First Ladies of the United States was from Hookstown?
• A young man from Beaver accompanied Admiral Byrd on his Antarctic Expedition in 1939?
• The United States Army Air Force had a secret aviation fuel storage facility in Potter Township?
• The “World’s Strongest Upside Down Man” was from Midland?
• Daylight Savings Time was invented by a Center Township resident?
• An Aliquippa native became the first African-American president of the NCAA?
• A future President of the United States nearly drowned in a local canal accident?
• The legendary “Johnny Appleseed” planted trees in the county?
• The town of Koppel was seized by the Federal Government and sold during WWI?
• The date that your town, township or borough was established?