This area was previously a part of South Beaver Township (1800) and Big Beaver Township (1802). The area in which the present borough lies was sold by William Grimshaw to Joseph M. Smith in 1831. Smith laid out the town in 1859 and named it Homewood on Homewood Junction for James Wood. Mr. Wood had built an iron furnace along the Beaver River. Homewood Borough was formed September 10, 1910.
Fun facts about Homewood:
-The Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad was also constructed through town in 1852. The junction of the Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad with the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie line was also located in Homewood.
-Early settlers to the area were: David Johnston, William Foster, Adam Garner, John C. Chapman and Jonathan Grist.
-The Homewood Stone Quarry was an important industry.
-An ice house was located at Homewood Reservoir.
-The Homewood Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1869 and Rev. J.W. Claybaugh was the first pastor.
–Charles Hunter was elected as the first burgess.
-The Harmony Streetcar Line was built in the borough during 1914.