Greene Township was formed in 1812 from parts of Hanover Township and Second Moon Township. The eastern section of the township was taken to form part of Raccoon Township in 1833. Then the township lost more territory when Hookstown was incorporated in 1843 and Georgetown in 1850.
Fun facts about Greene Township:
–Mill Creek Presbyterian Church, the oldest church in Beaver County, was founded before the township was created. In 1785, the Mill Creek congregation requested ministers, and supply ministers were provided through 1799. George M. Scott was first pastor as of July 1799.
-In the late 1820’s, John Ralston taught school on the Moore Heir’s farm, and Thomas Sweins established a school on another farm.
-In 1834, Tomlinson’s Run United Presbyterian Church was organized in the township near the Virginia, now West Virginia border.
-Several Greene Township men enlisted in Ormond’s Company H of the 140th Pennsylvania Infantry in 1862 for service against the confederacy.
-The Greene Township Farmers Club was formed in 1833, and the group held a fair in 1885 on the Alexander Nickel farm. It was the forerunner of the Hookstown Fair.
-The Hookstown Fairgrounds are located in Greene Township.