Ellwood City is a borough in southern Lawrence County. However a small strip of North Sewickley Township (Beaver County) was annexed by Ellwood City (Lawrence County) in 1918. Ellwood was founded by Henry W. Hartman in 1889. He named it after friend and fellow industrialist Isaac L. Ellwood of Illinois.
Fun facts about Ellwood City:
-The county line between Beaver and Lawrence Counties follows Division Avenue.
–Alexander Gardner and E.G. Mathey were early landowners.