Daugherty Township received separate township status in 1893 by only four votes. Citizens previously petitioned to separate from Pulaski in 1890, but it failed. It originally was part of Sewickley Township, which included land of the present Daugherty, New Sewickley and Pulaski townships. The decree of the court officially recognized Daugherty Township January 27, 1894. The town was named after prominent lawyer, Edward Black Daugherty.
Fun facts about Daugherty Township:
-Several members of the Daugherty family over the years donated property to the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh for a cemetery for county Catholics.
-The Daugherty and McGuire families were early farm families.
-In 1933, Eliza A. McGuire donated a 72-acre plot of ground to the Sisters of Charity in Greensburg. A nursing home was built on the site in 1953, but it closed due to financial difficulties. The property was transferred to the Diocese of Pittsburgh.
-In 1963, McGuire Memorial Home opened to provide care and education to what was worded at that time to severely mentally retarded children. The Felician Sisters of North America operate the facility which has grown in scope. The facility is a school and intermediate care facility for children and adults who are severely physically and developmentally challenged. The program also has adult day programs, respite care and community home programs.