Originally known as the Village of Shippingport, it was incorporated as Shippingport Borough in 1910. It was a small rural river village until 1955 when the first Atomic Power Plant used for non-military purposes was built. Water is the key ingredient to the success of Shippingport, from the earliest times of steamboat building in the 1850’s to the current atomic and nuclear power plants.
Fun Facts about Shippingport Borough:
-Shippingport was known locally as Christler’s Landing until 1910.
-The last operating ferry boat in Beaver County was the Shippingport Ferry. It ceased operation with the opening of the Shippingport Bridge in 1964.