North Sewickley Township was formed in 1801 when the former Sewickley Township was divided into New Sewickley and North Sewickley townships. The municipality got smaller in 1845 as Marion, Wayne and Perry townships were formed. More land was lost when Eastvale was incorporated in 1892 and when Ellwood City annexed South Ellwood from the township in 1918.
Fun facts about North Sewickley:
-Early settlers were Ezekiel and Hannah Jones from New Jersey in 1801.
–Ezekiel Jones was county coroner from 1804-1805.
-The North Sewickley Post Office was established in 1837.
–North Sewickley Academy was founded in 1845 or 1846 by Rev. James S. Henderson, pastor of Slippery Rock Presbyterian Church. The school prepared boys and girls for college, then became a young ladies seminary and then a soldiers orphans school.
-There were many coal mines including Thompson Run Mines which operated until the 1940’s.
-There was a stone quarry operated by Fred Gwinner in 1886.
-The Homewood Iron Furnace, a stone blast furnace, was built in 1858 and produced iron from native ores for 10 years.
-The Harmony Streetcar line followed the Connoquenessing in 1913.
–Rustic Park, owned by the streetcar company, was a popular place for outings.
-The Pennsylvania Turnpike bisected the township in 1951, but access was available only at Homewood.
-Part of county-owned Brush Creek Park, is located in the township.
-Township students attend the Riverside School District.
-The township was hit by a F3 tornado May 31, 1985. Destroyed were a gas station, drive in theater, meat market and several homes.