New Sewickley Township was created in 1801 from the original Sewickley Township which was divided, and the remaining land became North Sewickley Township. Eventually, 13 other boroughs and townships were formed from New Sewickley.
Fun facts about New Sewickley:
–Big Knob, a dome-shaped hill, is the highest point in Beaver County at 1382 feet.
–Unionville was a prominent village in the township and was situated where Zelienople Road/Route 68 crosses Brush Creek.
–Wallace City was a booming oil town in the 1890’s.
-In the past, the North Shore Railroad serviced Wallace City and the Park brickyard and quarries along Crow’s Run.
-Early post offices in the township were: Brush Creek at Unionville, Sunflower, Knob, Lovi and Park Quarries.
-Early churches in the municipality were: Unionville United Methodist, prior to 1842; Oak Grove Lutheran Church, 1873; House of Mercy Lutheran Church, 1878; Burry’s Church, the United Evangelist Protestant St. Johns Congregation, 1855.
-The Big Knob Grange holds the yearly Big Knob Fair.
-New Sewickley is part of the Freedom Area School District.