Midland Borough

Midland Borough was established in 1906. Its history goes back further than this. By 1792 patents for tracts of land bearing colorful names such as The Ohio Adonis, Apollo’s Retreat, Happy Retreat and Bachelor’s Delight were taken out. Once Beaver County was established in 1800, the land was divided and sold. The area of Midland was part of South Beaver Township in 1800 and in 1805 it passed into Ohio Township. By 1856, parts of the town were in Industry Township.

Fun facts about Midland:

-McKeesport coal operator and riverman, J.A. Neel, purchased 194 acres of farmland, on which he farmed and grew apples and musk melons and operated a steam-powered cider press.

-In 1865 J.A. Noel donated land to establish a school which was known as Neel’s School District.

-In 1905 the Neel, Kaine, Brucker and McCoy farms were purchased and the Midland Steel Co. opened the same year on these properties.

-The First National Bank and Midland Hotel were built in 1906.

-A foundry was built in 1906 by S. Jarvis-Adams Co. It later it became part of Mackintosh-Hemphill Co.

Crucible Steel purchased Midland Steel Co. in 1911. It closed in the early 1980’s.

-Midland native Norm VanLier was a NBA All Star Guard with the Cincinnati Royals, Chicago Bulls and Milwaukee Bucks.

PA Cyber Charter School opened in 2000. It is a Kindergarten to Grade 12 online school available to all Pennsylvania students. It has enrolled thousands of students.

-The Lincoln Park Performing Arts Charter School opened in 2006 with 250 students the first year. It is a tuition-free school for students in grades 7 to 12. Studies include music, theatre, dance, creative writing, media arts, health science and the arts.

-The town is well known for its yearly July 4th parade, fireworks and celebration in the park.