Marion Township was formed in 1845 when North Sewickley Township was divided into four townships. The community was named for the “Swamp Fox” of the Revolution, General Francis Marion. In 1850 Marion lost half its territory when Franklin Township was formed.
Fun facts about Marion Township:
-The Barrisville Post Office served the area until 1901.
-Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, founded in 1800, contains graves of several Revolutionary War soldiers.
–Benvenue, Bernhard Mueller’s 1814 stone house, is a prominent landmark along Route 68.
–Recreational camps, the YMCA Camp Kon-O-Kwee and the YWCA Camp Carondawanna, were established in the 1920’s for youth from Beaver, Butler and Allegheny Counties.
-The Pittsburgh, Harmony, Butler and New Castle Interurban trolley line followed the Connoquenessing Creek from Zelienople to Ellwood City from 1908 to 1937.
-Part of Brush Creek Park, a Beaver County park, is located in the municipality.