Industry Borough was incorporated in 1960. It was formed from Industry Township and included Ohioview, Merrill plus Industry villages and adjacent farm lands. The history of the municipality goes back to1817 when construction of a road from Beaver to Little Beaver Bridge was approved. The post office was established in 1833, and William McCallister laid out the village of Industry September 14, 1836. Industry Township was formed February 7, 1856, from parts of Ohio and Brighton townships.
Fun facts about Industry:
-In the 1840’s, steamboats named Pekin, Mingo Chief, Palo Alto and Financier were built in the boatyards.
-In 1856, the Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railroad and railroad station were constructed.
-Merchants in the 1870’s included J.W. Engle and Sons, boatbuilders; O.E. Aber, dry goods; James Harsha, general dealer in agricultural implements, sewing machines, pianos and organs.
-There were oil wells in the late 19th century, but they were unprofitable.
-The street car came in 1908 with the Ohio River Scenic Route of Steubenville, East Liverpool and Beaver Valley Interurban Railorad.
-Route 68, also called Midland-Beaver Road, was paved in 1925.
-After the Montgomery Lock and Dam was opened in 1936, the Merrill Lock and Dam ceased to operate.
-Bricks were made at the Dando brickyard.