Hookstown Borough was incorporated by an Act of the Legislature April 18, 1843. The town was named for Matthias Hook, who was an early settler from 1797. He had called the area Hook’s settlement. Land from Hanover and Second Moon townships was taken to form Greene Township in 1812. A small settlement grew near Hook’s settlement in Greene Township, and this eventually became Hookstown. Prior to this, the town also had been called Newton, Niveveh and Moscow.
Fun facts about Hookstown:
-In 1818, a post office was started, and Joseph McFerran was the postmaster.
-In the early days, the tiny town had a grist mill, saw mill, two tanneries, two smith shops, two tailors, two hatter and a wagon maker.
-In 1845, Hookstown fever, possibly typhoid, affected the town. It lasted several months and affected 86 of the 350 residents. Eight died including two doctors.
-The United Presbyterian Church was established in 1846 and Hookstown Presbyterian Church opened in 1854.
–Dr. Milton Lawrence, who arrived in Hookstown during 1826, had served as Beaver County Prothonotary and associate judge.
–Rev. Marcus Ormond, pastor of the Hookstown United Presbyterian Church, raised a company of men from the borough and surrounding communities in August 1862 for Union Army service. They were know as Company H of the 140th Pennsylvania Infantry.
-In 1886, the Mill Creek Valley Agricultural Associates was formed to hold annual fairs at Hookstown to be attended by citizens of the county.