Big Beaver Township had its beginnings in 1802 when South Beaver Township was divided. Lawrence County was formed in 1849, and the new county line split Big Beaver, and each county ended up with a Big Beaver Township. Beaver County’s Big Beaver changed to a borough form of government in 1958. Lawrence County’s Big Beaver now is known as New Beaver Borough.
Fun facts about Big Beaver:
-A F3 tornado went through the Big Beaver shopping plaza which included Jamesway, May 31, 1985.
-Many hotels are located along Route 18.
-The Beaver Falls exit of the Pennsylvania Turnpike has been located in the municipality since 1951.
-The Koppel Car Co. was located in town in 1907.